Monday, July 26, 2010

His Jacket...My Obsession (Part II)

Meet Mr.Chan, our Master Tailor. He is--let me find the right word--precious. I can't think of a more appropriate word for a man of his profession. The number of traditional tailors are quickly dimishing due to retirement and the lack of people who are interested enough to learn this art and make a living out of it. Technological advances and lowly-paid factory workers are replacing traditional tailors who handmake their suits from scratch.

I watched Mr.Chan skillfully cut and sew the lining I carefully selected onto my second perfect blazer. I'm always impressed to see a tailor or seamstress transform a piece of cloth into something most consumers would only see in its final stage--hanging on a rack inside a clothing store ready to be purchased.

I'm very thankful that Mr.Chan possesses the skills that he has. Until you've seen how clothes are made from inception to their finished form, you really wouldn't know how talented tailors and seamstresses are.


On top is a pictures of Mr.Chan working on my second blazer which is pink! Yes, a pink men-inspired blazer. How uncommon is that?

Mr.Chan is a little shy so I respected his request that I don't post his face on my blog. Little does he know, I'm only showering him with many compliments on here!

Pink gives what otherwise would be a manly jacket a very girlie and fresh feel. You could try creating an edgy look with a pink blazer by pairing it with some leather pants or shorts. In the previous post, I briefly suggested a few ideas on how to wear a manly blazer without actually looking like a man. Well, with a pink blazer, you could get away with anything that your boyfriend/husband would actually wear. Be bold--wear a black tie on top of a white shirt when you're sporting your girlie blazer. Finish the look with some boyfriend jeans!

Here's how my very personalized pink blazer looks like so far:

















Info: 10% polyester/90% wool pink jacket ($199 for the standard style), 100% cotton grey check lining ($120 for lining fabric & replacement), blazer buttons ($8 from Fabricana & $25 for button sewing)

Total Cost of Pink Jacket: $352 + HST


(Photography by http://www.cindywuphotography.com/)