Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can't Resist That Parisian Chic


Marlene Dietrich embraced men's fashion head-on. She was known to have a gutsy approach in fashion during a time when women rarely wore anything other than dresses or skirts.


THIS FALL, baggy pleated trousers are making a huge comeback. I've got to say, it's not something that all ladies are ready to accept. Any pant with huge hips and thighs and tapers towards the bottom aren't the most flattering on any women's figure...even if you were a 5'10" leggy babe, you'd still look fuller than you really are in pleated trousers.

Men-inspired pleated trousers aren't new news though. Coco Chanel made a ladies' pant suit in the 1930's and German actress/fashion icon, Marlene Dietrich wore it. Since then, pant suits for the ladies have been reworked over and over again to look feminine and modern. But it's no surprise that the women's slim cut suit is nowhere to be seen this year. The classic loose fit trouser is the way to go! And it's no wonder that they dominate the runway--since it's the classic pieces that can stand the test of time.

I personally cannot resist a look that oozes elegance! I raided my mom's closet and I found this pair (see below) hiding in her closet. If they weren't too big for me and they weren't her favourite, I would steal it. You can see that it fits really nicely but it's all an illusion--thanks to some handy bulldog clips. Even though I can't have these, I will be owning a pair in about two weeks time. I'm having mine custom made to look like hers. Yes, I'm serious.

I've figured that since I'm petite, I would benefit from the thinnest and slinkiest or silkiest fabric possible if I'm going to have a go at the pleated pant look. Remember, you want to reduce the amount of fabric possible if you want to look slimm-ER. Looking slim is not an option in pleated pants.

So, here's a few tips that I've observed and figured out if you're daring enough to try this look:

1. Counter the bulkiness of the pants with a very slim top (think bodysuit slim)
2. Wear your highest heels possible
3. Go with dark colours
4. Select a pair that has a HIGH WAIST (that creates the illusion of longer legs)

I picked out some shoes that will go so absolutely freakin' well with this type of pant. Hope you like!



(Parisian Elegance, Parisian Poshness, Parisian Vintage)