Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How To Destroy Your Little Girl's Jeans--Or Yours

I had to destroy some poor little girl's cool-looking glittery jeans today. The mom came in and asked me to rip as many holes in her little girl's jeans as possible to make it look like tattered rags. Her daughter is playing poor little dirty "Oliver" in her school play.

To make a pair of brand new jeans look old and tattered is actually a lot harder than one might think. The process is long and tedious. It took me 2 hours to finish. Basically, you cut slits in the appropriate spots--places where friction is likely to happen (knees and bum are good spots) and rub the hell out of the areas with a very very tough scouring pad. All the while, you pull out white strands from the frayed edges. Then you keep scouring until you think the areas look very worn out and discoloured.

Little girl's jeans.

Glittery back.

Scouring pad and sturdy scissors.

Stuffed giant hard pillow (I really have know idea what this thing is called). My dad made it.

Insert pillow into pant leg.

Scour the spot like you're scouring the face of the person you really don't like. It makes time go by much faster and the job more enjoyable.

Girl-Oliver's pants. Cool as ice.

No bum rips for this little girl as it may be too revealing for a person of her age. See, I'm already practicing my parental discretion. I'll make a good mother some day. "Jane, no bum rips for you! Now eat your broccoli!"