Thursday, October 7, 2010

80's Carrot Pants, Back with a Vengeance

I'm an 80's child. I remember the neon slap-on bracelets. I remember the New Kids On The Block and that one of my sisters had the biggest crush on Joe. I remember the scrunchies and the poofy hair. I remember carrying my very own Fraggle Rock lunch box to school. I remember the funny clown pants that my mom wore called "carrot pants." Aaah, carrot pants. You either hate them or you love them.

Who knew they'd be dominating the runways this Fall? They started appearing last spring in the form of jumpsuits. This season, wear your carrot pants with your shirts tucked inside them.

Carrot pants aren't a girl's best friend and can be very tricky to wear. They're not a widely accepted style of pant among the ladies but the gents have been wearing their version (pleated trousers) since dress pants came into existence. As the name describes, they make your legs look like carrots. Here are several things to keep in mind when you want to try this look:

1. Tuck your shirt in to minimize bulk at the top.

2. Wear a high-waisted pair to elongate your legs.

3. Wear high-heels.

4. Use a skinny belt to cinche out your waist.

I hope this style is here to stay for a while. Contrary to popular belief, pleated pants on women could be quite flattering if you wear them right. They can give you long legs and hips. Why not try a pair? In our society, we're conditioned to think skinny is good, skinny is sexy, skinny is what all women should look like. I feel like such a rebel wearing carrot pants! Screw you, North American beauty ideals!


Because I love carrot pants so much, I had 3 pairs custom made by Balsam Custom Tailors. I actually had gone shopping for them before I decided to get them made but none of the pants I tried on really fit me. I also had the fabric I wanted in mind.

Custom-made pants:
Labour only - starts at $149
Labour with material included - starts at $169

Beige Light-Weight English Wool Pleated Pants:





Olive Green Cotton Polyester Pleated Pants:




Black Satin (Bought from Dressew @ $5/meter) Super High-Waist Pleated Pants:




For this last pair (black pants), I actually had it copied from the picture below. I liked the style but I didn't like the material. I wanted a bit of sheen and rigidness to the pants so I got satin for my tailor to work with. He added belt loops so I could wear a belt sometimes.

Picture from Lulus.com

Photography by Cindy Wu